A trap is a mechanical device used to capture or restrain an animal for purposes such as hunting, pest control, or ecological research.
In the anime community, a trap (also known as otokonoko in Japan) is a biologically male character with an andrognynous / feminine appearance, and is often performed by voice actresses. The term "trap" carries unfortunate implications however, as the term derives from the undesirability of many males finding out that the person of their desires is actually another man, which makes them gay. It doesn't help that many of the archetype's examples are highly sexualized by both creators and fans. Note that in order to be called a "trap", the character must be explicitly described as biologically male; characters whose gender is officially undiclosed DO NOT count here.
This kind of archetype tends to perform well in the International Saimoe League contest, and suck at everything else. Hell, ISML has even organized an Exhibition tournament in 2014 just for them! And for some reason, the winner of that contest is awarded the Lapis Scepter (male grand prize), which carries the same weight as all the other male winners of this contest!
maybe the staff REALLY wants Hideyoshi to win one
- Hideyoshi Kinoshita (Baka and Test) - Won the Scepter in 2014 by winning that year's Male Exhibition Tournament, which was exclusively contested by traps.
- Souji Mitsuka (Gotta be the Twin-Tail)
- Saika Totsuka (Oregairu)
- Ruka Urushibara (Steins;Gate) - Ruka's biological sex actually changes in the VN / anime. However, Ruka is a male in most parts of the story.
- Felix Argyle (Re:Zero)
- Rider of Black aka Asstolfo (Fate/Apocrypha) - currently the poster boy of the archetype. Reached the playoffs in ISML 2018.
- Hideri Kanzaki (Blend S)
- Chihiro Fujisaki (Danganronpa 1) - His reason for cross-dressing is a plot point in the game / anime.
- Ryuunosuke Akasaka (Sakurasou)
- Keima Katsuragi (TWGOK) - despite his androgynous appearance, he is an active harem protagonist.
- Shidou Itsuka (DAL) - same situation as Keima -- he also has a harem of girls.
- Nagisa Shiota (Assassination Classroom) - His most famous outfit is a black off-shoulder dress, a red plaid miniskirt, and black thigh-high stockings, which when combined with his physique makes for an effective "female" disguise.