A contestant is said to be cursed when they have a consistent history of NOT winning a major contest despite performing well throughout the event. Bonus points if they always lose at a certain stage.
- Edward Elric - He keeps falling just short. That is all.
- Holo - Ever since her runner-up finish in the very first edition of the contest, the wolf goddess has made the Elite Eight in all but one of its editions. However, despite assertions from her fans and symphatizers saying that it's "her year", she unfortunately hasn't lived up to their expectations. Holo is still unlikely to win a title in the next few years due to being a prominent target of spite-votes, and the emergence of newer, more powerful waifus set to conquer the hearts of r/anime users.
- Megumin - Always loses in the round of 16 in Best Girl despite securing the first seed in two of its editions. To add more salt to the wound, three of her losses in Best Girl were against the Wise Wolf, herself a cursed contestant in the contest.
- Mashiro Shiina - Biggest example. She always gets to the postseason and then loses in the semi-finals without fail. Her semis curse is ongoing for five years, since 2015.
- The Fate franchise is one of the strongest factions in the tournament, boasting a long history and a fuckton of gem awards won by their characters. However, they can't seem to win the grand prizes: Tiara and Scepter, and only two of its players made the grand final at all: Archer in 2018, and his master Rin Tohsaka in 2019. A combination of anti-Fate sentiment and tactical voting may have played a part in its snubbing of the title.
- Hitagi Senjougahara - The crab was the pre-eminent Monogatari contestant in r/anime.
- Shana - Her curse is finally broken when she won ISML's Tiara in 2016. Before that, she had to endure a long series of painful defeats, most notably her two losses in the final against Hinagiku Katsura: one in the 2007 Korea contest where she lost by only two votes, and another in ISML 2009 where she fell short by 11 votes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.